If you have a smartphone with GPS capabilities, you can use the plotaroute app to help follow a route from plotaroute.com.
- Select the route you want to follow and view the interactive route map.
- At the bottom of the screen are four buttons:
- ZOOM IN - Zooms in to the current tracker position.
- ZOOM OUT - Zooms out to show the whole route.
- SETTINGS - Tap to access the Navigation Settings panel.
- START/STOP - Tap to start or stop navigation.
- When you tap the START/STOP button to start navigation, it will change colour and spin to indicate that GPS tracking is turned on.
- Your current position is shown on the map by a blue marker with a direction arrow to indicate your heading. This may initially be surrounded by a shaded blue circle indicating the location accuracy - the circle should disappear once your device has an accurate position fix.
- Start moving! The app uses your current heading to help determine your position on a route, thereby avoiding any confusion with out-and-back routes.
- At the top of the screen is a panel displaying various navigation information. This shows:
- NEXT TURN PROXIMITY - How far away the next turn is (in distance or time depending on ROUTE DATA selection).
- NEXT TURN INSTRUCTIONS - Directions to follow at the next turn (tap to expand).
- ROUTE DATA - You can choose to display either of the following (tap to choose):
- DISTANCE TO FINISH - How much further you have to go.
- TIME TO FINISH - How much longer you have to go.
- SPEED - Your current speed.
Time estimates are based on your current TIMER settings. These can be changed by turning off the tracker and selecting TIMER from the MENU above the map.
- The Navigation Settings panel can be accessed by tapping the gear icon .
The following Navigation settings are available:
VOICE NAVIGATION (Premium feature)
- VOICE NAVIGATION - Enable/disable voice navigation.
- TURN NOTICE - How far before each turn you want a voice alert.
- TURN INFO:
- BRIEF - Turn direction only, e.g. Turn left
- VERBOSE - Reads the directions (max. 25 words), e.g. Turn left onto Sunshine Avenue
- OFF-ROUTE ALERTS - Alerts you when you are off-route, including heading in the wrong direction.
- VOICE - The voice that will be used to speak the navigation instructions (see note below).
- DARK MODE - Uses a dark maps during navigation to conserve battery life.
- Due to an iOS bug, some voices listed on iPhone devices are not available and will be substituted with another voice.
- Directions are only shown if they were added when creating the route.