If you own a Garmin Edge or similar Garmin device, you can follow route you've planned on plotaroute.com, using the device's navigation features. Follow these instructions to download a route to your Garmin device.
- View the route you want to download on plotaroute.com (you can find all your own routes by selecting My Routes from the menus).
- From the View Route page, select Download from the Menu above the map.
- Choose either TCX or GPX Track file format and click the DOWNLOAD button:
- TCX - includes any turn by turn directions/notes and lets you specify a Virtual Partner speed/pace
- GPX - no directions or notes, just the route (less storage space needed)
- Connect your Garmin device to your computer. It acts like a USB stick, so once it's ready you can open it up in Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder to see the files on it.
- Copy the downloaded file to your Garmin device - the instructions for this depend on which device you have:
- Garmin Edge 500/510/800/810/1000 and Garmin Touring:
- Copy the file to the GARMIN/NewFiles folder
- Garmin Edge 605/705:
- Copy TCX files to the GARMIN/Courses folder
- Copy GPX files to the GARMIN/GPX folder
- Garmin Edge 205/305 and all other Garmin devices:
- Files cannot be copied directly to these devices. Please use Garmin Basecamp or Garmin Connect to transfer GPS files dolwnloaded from plotaroute.com to these devices:
- Download the roote in TCX format
- Import the downloaded TCX file into Garmin Basecamp (File -> Import -> Courses)
- Download the Course onto your Garmin device (Send to Device and select the correct course)
- Download the route in GPX format (Garmin Connect doesn't support importing TCX courses, so it can't import any directions)
- Upload the downloaded GPX file to Garmin Connect
- View the uploaded activity, select "Save As Course" (click the gear icon in the top right corner to access this) and follow the instructions
- Once saved as a Course, select Send to Device
- To follow the route, locate it on your Garmin device and start the navigation:
- Garmin Edge GPX files : you can find the route under "Where To?"
- All other files and devices : you can find the route under "Courses"