If you have a smartphone with GPS capabilities, you can use the plotaroute app to help follow a route from plotaroute.com.
- Select the route you want to follow and view the interactive route map.
- Tap the tracker icon in the bottom right corner of the map to turn on GPS tracking - the tracker icon will spin to indicate that tracking is turned on . Tap it again if you want to turn it off.
- Your current position is shown on the map by a blue marker with a direction arrow to indicate your heading. This may initially be surrounded by a shaded blue circle indicating the location accuracy - the circle should disappear once your device has an accurate position fix.
- At the top of the screen is a panel displaying various navigation information. This shows:
- NEXT TURN PROXIMITY - How far away the next turn is (in distance or time depending on ROUTE DATA selection).
- NEXT TURN INSTRUCTIONS - Directions to follow at the next turn.
- ROUTE DATA - You can choose to display either of the following:
- DISTANCE TO FINISH - How much further you have to go.
- TIME TO FINISH - How much longer you have to go.
- SPEED - Your current speed.
To change the ROUTE DATA, just tap on the ROUTE DATA display.
If the directions are too long to fit in the space available, you can see the full directions by tapping on NEXT TURN INSTRUCTIONS to expand it. Tap it again to restore it.
To close the navigation panel, tap on NEXT TURN PROXIMITY.
Time estimates are based on your current TIMER settings. These can be changed by turning off the tracker and selecting TIMER from the MENU above the map.
If you don't see any turn information, start moving in the correct direction so that your device can determine which way you are going - the app uses your current heading in order to determine your position on a route, thereby avoiding any confusion with out-and-back routes. Also, please note that directions are only shown if they were added when creating the route.
- As you pass each turn, the display will update to show you the next one.
Please be aware the GPS usage can drain your battery faster than usual, so it is a good idea to turn the tracker off when not needed.
Please remember to take care when using the app to follow a route - you should only look at it when safe to do so.